title : December 1st, 2019 Sunday Mass Sermon of 1st Sunday of Advent, by Fr Chazal
name : silviadate : 2019-12-06 08:38:48hits : 121
 First Sunday of Advent
1st December, 2019

t is our custom to reflect on the end of all things during the first Sunday of Advent, but as the situation tends to be very gloomy let us realize we cannot say “All is lost” until God so decide. Our Lord rebuked the apostles when they told Him “Save us, we are perishing,” and so did Judith “Who are you to tempt God and say all is lost” and David “Who is he(Goliath) to blaspheme the Lord of Host?”

God created us out of nothing and He alone is of Himself, outside of any group of beings, because the way He exists is by Himself while we exist by Him at all times. The so called ‘deists’ have it wrong, saying God created the world, then left the beautiful clock He created run by itself, and went away. Nothing can be further from the truth. God runs away from those who abandon Him, but He still supports them in existence and preserve them by His providence.

In the sermon on the mountain Christ says how much God care even for the smallest blade of grass, and not even one hair of our scalp is left unaccounted for. That is called ‘providence’. But God also maintains us in existence at every moment. St Thomas argue that to make something exist out of nothing requires an infinite power. Try to make an omelette, not only without eggs, but out of thin air! So it is an infinite cause, God, that makes the smallest blade of grass exist.

St Thomas adds, that this cause remains in contact to sustain our existence, because such an effect as existence requires the infinite cause to still continue the act of giving existence, a bit like at the other end of the lightbulb here, there is a huge Korean powerplant. The comparison of the lightbulb has its limits, and like any comparison is true and false.

It is true in the sense that if God stops thinking about us, in less than a click, we cease to exist, just like light stops when we turn of the six switches of this chapel. To destroy His enemies, God does not need to do anything, but to stop thinking of them and immediately they would cease both to be a problem, and to be altogether! Yet He never behaves that way. Anything He creates is created without repentance, including the soul of Judas, whom He wishes not having been born. God maintains His enemies in existence and let them have a go with Him and His Church, nay, give them ample opportunity to attack until they have exhausted all their malice.

But what doesn’t fit in the lightbulb comparison is that God holds us into existence from inside, not from outside, because to be at the point where a thing begins to be, you must be inside. We have no idea how much God attends to us. We only think of His external providence, yet there is no atom God does not hold and maintain in existence from inside. “God is more intimate to me than I am to myself,” say St Augustine. He creates, then stays then watches. I am utterly open and naked before Him, especially in my soul which is 99.9% of what I am.

And there is more: God is indivisible. Wherever He is, He is whole and entire, unlike us who put our arms on the table and our legs under. No His presence is total, just as much as it is everywhere and in all times. God does not attend to His creatures like someone who runs department. He is not a distant governor of things, and He is in the angels and men He appoints to run things. You can’t divide God. With Him it is all or nothing.

Hence St Thomas concludes that God is in every thing by
- Presence -> He is there and nothing escapes His gaze.
- Power -> He touches and directs all thing.
- Substance -> He maintains things in the act of being by a constant contact of His substance.

Yet there is still a higher level of God’s presence, power, substance: It is when God applies Himself to our soul and espouses it in a movement called ‘Grace’. Grace is not content to keep the creature intact, it raises it infinitely above its natural level, because unlike other creatures, our intellect and will is ‘capable of God’, so to speak, able to see His substance while other creatures are a bit blind and able to love Him, and especially be loved by Him.

Archbishop Lefebvre was very struck by this mode of being of God, His infinite power and presence and the consequence thereof: The ridiculousness of modern man, and his pretense of independence. The other consequence is the capability of God to retrieve a bad situation. He holds everything in His hands anyway, before He even starts to fix things. This is advent, my friends, we are waiting for a Little Babe who holds everything in His hand.

+ Fr. Chazal

Home Introduction Log-in Mass Schedule Contact us Site Map Korean