title : August 6th, 2017 Sun. Mass Sermon - I, by Fr Picot
name : silviadate : 2017-08-07 12:42:11hits : 472

The Transfiguration, the Manifestation of the Beloved Son
August 6th, 2017

Inspired by the revelation of the mysteries and taken up by contempt for earthly things, the apostle Peter was in ecstasy at the desire of eternal things, and, filled with the joy of all this vision, wanted to live with Jesus, on the Mount Thabor.That's why he said: Lord, it is good for us to be here if you want, we here three tabernacles, one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah (Matt. 17.4).But the Lord did not reply to this suggestion, certainly not to show that this desire was bad, but to signify that it was out of place. The world could not be saved without the death of Christ, you see. Thus, the Lord's example calls on the faith of believers to understand that, no doubt against the promise of happiness, we must nevertheless, in the trials of this life, ask for patience before glory. The happiness of the kingdom can not, in fact, precede the time of suffering.

And so, while he was still speaking, a bright cloud overshadowed them and a voice from the cloud said, This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased, listen to him (Mt 17.5).The Father, no doubt, was present in the Son, and in that light that the Lord had issued out to the disciples. The substance of Him, the Father, who generates is not separated from the generated Only Begotten. Though the Father revealed Himself in a way and the Son in another, do not conclude that they are divided.

But to highlight the proper characteristics of each Person,the Voice coming out of the cloud announced the Father to human ears, just as the light coming forth from the body revealed the Son to human eyes. So each Person was clearly and distinctly known. The cloud was the manifestation of the Holy Ghost.

When they heard the voice, the disciples fell face down, very frightened, trembling not only before the majesty of the Father, but also before that of the Son: through the motion of a deeper understanding in fact, they understood that the Divinity of both was unique. And since there was no hesitation in faith of the Apostles, their fear was discret, I mean, was well balanced and not from a bad conscience.

So first we must understand clearly the words of the Father that our faith may be without hesitation, and by consequence our fear will be fruitful for salvation. In fact, when the Father says: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased, listen to him, one should understand like that:

This is my Son! for which to be from me and to be with me isa reality which does not happen in time. I,the Father, who Generates is not prior to my Son who is Generated. My Son comes from my inner-self, yet He is not made by Me for He was, is and will be with Me always.

This is my Son! Though different of Me, He does not diminishes my Divinity, nor does He divide my power, nor did he start in eternity.

Home Introduction Log-in Mass Schedule Contact us Site Map Korean